Fries are done

Thursday, February 07, 2008

Gooey Fish in his ears

I want to start with letting everyone know that Carina is back to her beautiful, clear-skinned self. (This first photo was her on day 8 - already the face puffiness was less, but in person, she was still mottled.) It lasted about 5 days full intensity, and then another 3 where you could see it was fading. It took another couple of days after that for her skin to stop being super sensitive. Poor little thing - but she handled it like a trooper!

(This photo was her today - much better!)



Dante went for his audiology appointment last week. Wouldn't you know it? More fluid in his ears! We went 3.5 years with no ear infections of any kind and now it seems to be non-stop. (I spoke to an audiologist for Pinellas County Schools and she commented that she has seen children post-chemo have lots of issues with fluid in their ears. She said that it can be tough to truly diagnose the hearing problems sometimes due to the fluid.) Dr. P took a look at Dante's ears the next day and did indeed see fluid and a start of some swelling, so here we are, one week into another antibiotic. Which, for Dante means another upset stomach.

Anyways, they went ahead and made ear molds for his hearing aids. "I had gooey fish in my ears!"(All you Mickey Mouse Clubhouse fans will understand that comment.) "I don't have bugs in my ears anymore!" (I think he was referring to the small disk they insert before the "goo" to pull the whole thing out.) Chris said they had all sorts of colors available for the ear molds, but he just went with clear and a hint of green to start. Maybe then we will move on to fushscia and chartreuse... We go back in 1 week for a fitting and our first introduction to the actual hearing aids.

The chart I made for Dante's classroom must be working pretty well. He had 3 straight days where his teacher said he was wonderful! One day, he was about the only kid who didn't need a timeout. He has been helpful and following directions. (Until Wednesday...he had a particularly rough day. Chris and I both think it was due to lack of sleep and his stomach.) Today he was super happy all day. (Of course, a day with Daddy and Gomma and Dinosaur World makes it easy!) Every night before Dante goes to sleep, he has me tell him a story about going to school. He loves these stories and gets excited to hear which snack or lunch I say is that day or what the book is that is read or what Yo Gabba Gabba character is on his cot...the past 2 weeks, he has added, "You have to tell about the chart too!" I'm glad he has taken ownership. I think between the chart and the telling of his day at nighttime, those transition times should get a lot easier.

Speaking of his school, wow...How did we happen upon such a wonderful place! The director of the school called us up last week and told us that she wants their Spring fund raiser to go towards Dante's hearing aids. Chris and I don't want to take away from the school and their needs. Mrs. Bonnell is a tough negotiator. She wants Dante to be able to get his hearing aids as soon as possible. She also said that it is important for people to remember to help others and a good model for the students to see in action. She said that the school wasn't in need of anything at this time. We compromised that whatever is raised will go towards his hearing aids, unless it goes over the actual cost. Then the extra will go into equipment and supplies for the school. We have been so blessed by this community that we have trouble saying thank you enough. Thank you!

Since the purchase of the hearing aids is imminent, I have spent many evenings trolling sites that list grants and such. I don't think I found a single one that we qualify for! Most of them are designed for people with no insurance at all. Well, I would think that having insurance, but one that doesn't pay for them would be the same thing, right? Maybe I'll try that angle. I found one, the Sertoma foundation, which I will be filling out the application for this week. I did call the school board contact for Aetna. They told me the entire process for trying to convince the board to cover the cost. I can't start that process until I have the specifics of the purchase, model, etc. Once we do, we'll be moving ahead with that. Anyone have experience in this?

I'm excited about Dante's first Valentine's party at school. We got the list of all the kids in his class for their party/card exchange, so we will start making some cards this weekend. I think they are making a Valentine's breakfast - heart waffles, pancakes and candy! I totally wish I could be there. But, wait - 10 or more 3 year old kids with candy? Maybe I'm better off at work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home