Fries are done

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Beans and Rice

We got home from the hospital Monday afternoon. Dante's sodium levels were low, so they kept us a little longer that day to give him a saline IV. His ANC is 1100, but I'm sure after the GCSF injections it will rise or at least stay steady. Chris and I have noticed that his low is usually the weekend after we get out of the hospital. We have our doctor's appointment on Thursday, so we'll see if our theory holds. I am hoping for another 2 weeks of smooth sailing before round 4!

While we were at the hospital, Sara came in to read a story about germs to Dante. There are these stick puppet germs that Dante is supposed to find and wave around when the book talks about it. He knew exactly which one was going to be next each time and really got into saying "EEWWWWWWW" each time. When she finished, there was one she didn't use and he sat there and waved it and looked at her, like "Hey, you forgot one!" It was so cute. He definitely has an analytical mind and was figuring out the sequence the whole time. Since we have been home, if I bring up germs or if something drops on the floor, he has either thrown it away or said "EEWWWWWWW!" Of course, these haven't been things he really wanted...

Dante didn't eat anything in the hospital for 4 days. Everything I offered him, he about turned green when he looked at it. We came home and I took him out to get some black beans and rice and he ate almost half the bowl! And some chips! Today, he ate well again, so that is a relief. I swear, this kid is something else. Every side effect they have told us would start right away has yet to truly hit him. I am not fooling myself and expect them at every turn, but it sure is nice to not be bombarded by them from the beginning.

We are missing Daddy this week, but have been able to video chat a couple of times. I am exhausted from managing both kids during a hospital stay and now coming home to the realities of life. Luckily, my mom and brother came over as reinforcements today to give me a much needed break. I have also had lots of offers for help with meals and grocery shopping and yard work, that I gladly took people up on. Thanks everyone for everything! Stay tuned for pics when I can find the cable for the camera!

3 Comments:

  • Hey Jen,

    Glad to hear that Dante made a connection with the germs...as if I didn't KNOW that he would master that whole concept before I finished the session! See you next month.

    Sara

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:05 PM  

  • I am back in town, so if you need anything, we are right down the street!

    Sean (& Erica)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:01 PM  

  • Chris & Jen:

    I am glad to hear of Dante's continuing improvement. My thoughts have been with you often. I wish I were closer to offer some physical help in some way--cooking, cleaning,errands--whatever! I know that you guys have a great circle of friends there for support.

    Love and miss you much!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home