Fries are done

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Milestones

Three years ago today, around right 9 pm, we received "the call"...telling us about Dante's tumors. At the time we had a 6 week old baby, a 2 year old and life was already strained. We had NO idea. I always think about Chris hanging up the phone and saying, "I can't believe what I was worried about before that call." What a life changing thing to happen to any family. What an unfortunate way to remind you of life's priorities.

But, what an amazing three years it has been. We have been blessed with a now healthy 5 year old and 3 year old. Thank you for all of your support over the years.

Dante started school today - first day of Kindergarten. He had a great time. Over the course of the evening more stories started spilling out about his day. At bedtime, he suddenly named all the teachers he met, things they talked about, what he saw and about going tomorrow.

He told Chris, "Hey - Did you know you can BUY your lunch?! Some people had lunch they bought! Can I do that sometime? Maybe I can do it in a pattern...bring my lunch, then buy my lunch, then bring my lunch, then buy my lunch?" (I think we have a math geek on our hands!) Then he told me,"Some kids had corn dogs, with no sauce. Some had corn dogs with sauce. They had cookies...oh and green beans.. and cookies. Oh and they had milk, like strawberry milk and chocolate milk? Maybe I do that someday. I would get cookies and a corn dog, but with no sauce...." whew. I was worried about him, but I think he will do just fine.



This summer, I heard from one of our hospital buddies from 3 years ago. Sara's tumors have returned. We're thinking of them all the time and hoping for the best. She had been "cleared" right around the same time as Dante two years ago, and we all hoped that would be the last for both kids. Please keep Sara and her family in your thoughts.

5 Comments:

  • I love that pic of you two walking Jen and what a wonderful day! You made the right choice for him!! I'll certainly keep Sara in my thoughts.

    By Blogger Kip, at 9:42 PM  

  • When Kenyon and I were really struggling our first weeks and months, I kept thinking about you guys and thinking "they did this while dealing with endless doctor/hospital visits for Dante and endless worry too!" I've been having so much fun looking at everyone's first day pics. So glad he is enjoying it! I will also be thinking of Sara and her family.

    By Anonymous Kimi, at 7:56 AM  

  • So glad to see the updates. I've been following you since Kip introduced us to your story when Dante was diog. So glad he is doing well and so excited about starting school.

    Hugs for you all.

    By Blogger Cheryl, at 6:50 PM  

  • What beautiful milestones! Your kids are unbelivably gorgeous. Keep us posted this year. Oh, and I am now teaching at Lakewood! We're neighbors!

    Cindy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:08 AM  

  • Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home