Fries are done

Thursday, March 22, 2007

A Lucky Day

You know when you say to yourself, "Self, I'm going to put this here, so that I don't forget it. So, don't forget it." .... and then you go ahead and promptly forget it? Well, this morning in our rush to leave the house in time for the CT scan, Chris set his sunglasses on my mom's van while putting Carina inside. I even saw him look up at them, thinking about not forgetting them, as if the thought-bubble where appearing over his head saying those auspicious words. We drove off in the opposite direction and a block away Chris realized that he had, in fact, forgotten the sunglasses ....So we turned around and tried to follow mom's path. After 2 blocks we realized, as we were sitting at 22nd Ave waiting for traffic to clear, that it was probably hopeless. So, we turned towards the hospital, drove another block and guess what was in the middle of the road? - Chris's sunglasses - untouched, sitting askance the yellow lines, at rush hour, the opposite direction that mom usually drives. I told Chris right then we should buy a Lotto ticket.

Dante did great this morning. We tried the CT without total sedation, but with a nice cocktail that made him mellow and quite stoned; it worked! Halfway through, he says real quiet, "WOW". He did great with his port, considering it's been so long since he had it accessed (5 weeks). We went over to the clinic afterwards to draw labs, and for a routine check up. Dr. Grana was there and said he looked great. He gained 2 pounds and grew 1 inch since February! His hemoglobin and platelets are still running low, so they drew more labs. Dr. Grana said he might have a mild form of anemia, because his initial pre-chemo CBC showed a low hemoglobin as well. But, we never noticed since we hadn't needed blood drawn before that. She also said his immune system should be almost back to normal and can now handle preschool, mall play areas, etc - with handwashing, of course.

As we left, we went to get a bagel for breakfast, which Dante loves to do, and before we were even a block from the hospital, he was passed out in the backseat. He was super tired from getting up early, having a slight cold, and of course, the drugs. When he woke up 3 hours later, Chris asked him what we did this morning. His answer was "Get bagels." :)

The clinic called around 3 and said the results were back...with nothing on the scan!!! We got the detailed report faxed over and it looks like everything is proceeding normally with no changes. I knew it was going to be a lucky day - should've bought that Lotto ticket.


  • Yup, you should have bought that ticket!! Fabulous news though!

    By Blogger Kip, at 2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home